2015年12月29日火曜日

TRANSFORMATION in two hours' joyful crafting; A michiyuki(kimono coat) into a dress(PART-1) / 2時間の楽しい手作業でヘンシ~ン;道行(着物外套)がドレスに(パート1)

My michiyuki( a  half-length kimono coat) tailor-made by my mother decades ago was dragged out of my chabako(a wooden dampproof clothes box originally used for keeping tea) and is now worn as a dress.

何10年も前に母が仕立てに出してくれた道行を、茶箱から引っ張り出して今ドレスとして着ています。


Its u-shaped collar was made into a v-shaped one; All I did was just sliding the top body of the kimono to the right until both bottom corners  of the collar meet and changing the locations of the snap fasteners accordingly.

角型の襟はV型に直しました。つまり、 上前身頃を右にずらして角襟の下の2角を合わせそれに伴いスナップの位置を移したというだけの事です。

Then the lower part of the sleeves was cut off and sewn on along the v-shaped neck to be used as  stand-up collars. When the locations of some more snap fasteners changed, it already looked like a western dress. The back side was tucked around the waist to make it slimmer.

次に袖のたもとの部分を裁ちv型の襟元に沿って縫い付けて立ち襟として使いました。更にいくつかのスナップの位置を変えると既に西洋のドレスらしくなりました。細身にするために後ろ側のウエストの辺りで襞を寄せました。

Only this minor mending work  can revive "a sleeping beauty" of my old clothes box. I'm really happy that such a colorful and scrupulously made kimono was" woken up" to function again out in the fresh air.

たったこれだけの補正作業で古い洋服箱の「眠れる美女」を生き返らせことができます。あんなに色鮮やかで入念に作られた着物が「眠りを覚まされて」外の新鮮な空気の中で再び活かされてとても嬉しく感じられました。



Several times on the train I was talked to by some middle-aged or aged ladies when I was wearing these reformed kimonos. They said,
"Isn't this a kimono?" Then we kept talking all the way to my destination. They usually say
"I've got tons of kimonos from my youth or left behind by my mother and I didn't know what to do with them. I'll try to reform them some day."

こうしてリフォームした着物を着て電車に乗って中年、または高齢の婦人たちに話しかけられたことが幾度かあります。彼らは、訊いてきます。
  「これは着物でしょ?」 そして目的地に着くまでおしゃべりが弾みました。たいてい彼らは
  「若い時の物や母親の残していった着物が沢山あって、どうしたらいいかわからなかった。いつか私もリフォームしてみるわ。」と言います。




I hope they will. Even if they don't, I enjoyed such rare chances of talking with strangers.
They might or might not  do it but will at least tell others about it. All the original handwork and the memories of wearing it  should be treasured.

そうしてくれることを望みます。たとえやらなかったとしても、ともかく見知らぬ人とおしゃべりするという珍しいチャンスをとても楽しむ事が出来ました。リフォームするかもしれないし、しないかもしれないけれど、 少なくとも他の誰かに教えてくれるでしょう。あらゆる手縫い仕事とそれを着た思い出は大事にされるべきだと思います。




 the reformed parts of the original coat are marked with the blue lines
元のコートのリフォームした部分は青い線で印してあります

0 件のコメント: